To be clear, I am the nerd in question; the hotel has been unbelievably cray cray (Mike Tyson is not a nice man, folks – especially when he’s hungry), and I’m still processing my NFCC2015 experience.
So here’s a top ten list. Deal with it.
MY NFCC2015 EXPERIENCE IN A NERDSHELL: THE POSITIVES
10) The Niagara Falls Comic Con staff. They’re friendly, eager to please and they’re fellow nerds. What’s not love about these guys? They’re working for free! I’d have to be a tremendous ass hat to bash ’em!
9) The Canadian arm of Anchor Bay Entertainment. They pay the bills by making us scream like little girls, but they’re good (deviled) eggs. They handed out free swag like it was going out of style – which it never will.
8) The wonderful toys. K.I.T.T. The 1966 Batcycle and the Batcopter. The General Lee. A man could be a Car Guy AND a Mega-Nerd at Niagara Falls Comic Con 2015. That’s a rare and wondrous thing, ladies.
7) Robert Davi. He was in my favorite Bond film, Licence to Kill. If you didn’t know that I’ll forgive you, but you’re on notice. Say what you will about the man, but he can act like nobody’s business. He rocked in Profiler.
6) TONS of kick-ass comic book drawing types. Amanda Connor. The legendary Larry Hama. The Crowrific James O’Barr. Leonard Kirk. They bring the scribes’ visions to life, kids. Worship them.
5) The Pulp Nation gang and a live Nerd Play podcast. It doesn’t get much better than Chris Biggs, Drew Comerford, Paul Tappay, and Grant Plata, friends. Unless you add bacon, of course. Bacon rules.
4) Attending Niagara Falls Comic Con with my wife and daughter. The wife is waaay out of her element at a con (there were no vampires), but our daughter had a blast. I even slipped away for some “Hook”time (otherwise known as scouring the bins for comics). All in all, we had a great family outing. We laughed with and at our fellow nerds. We cried when the money ran out. We stuffed our faces with pizza afterwards. That’s what its all about, kids.
3) The comics. Like foreplay in the bedroom, it’s easy to forget the “comic” part of “comic convention”.
But I never forget.
About foreplay or comics.
Among the modern-day treasures I acquired…
2) The atmosphere. Mix the beauty of the Falls with horror, gaming, comic books, celebrities, swag (free and otherwise) and more elements than you can count and what do you get? Niagara Falls Comic Con, baby! There’s no con in the Multiverse like my local con and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
NFCC is a work-in-progress, but even San Diego Comic Con wasn’t built in a day. There were hiccups, but overall, this year’s con was a nerdtastic success and as always, it left me hungry for more.
1) Scott Wilson. Otherwise known as Hershel of The Walking Dead, this cat has to be one of the coolest souls I’ve ever met. he gave my daughter a hug and he posed for a free photo. He bonded – and even teared up – with the wife as she told him of her father’s love of his work on the Dead. In short, Scott Wilson embodied all that is good and holy about a con. I hope to meet him again.
And that’s all I have for today, folks. See you on the convention floor…