Before we get to the latest in “hospitality happenings”, its time for an update or two people…
THE HOOK HAS JOINED THE FOURTH ESTATE!
The Hook’s latest plot to infiltrate the world’s consciousness has borne fruit; my first column for Bullet News Niagara hit the ‘net last Friday! You can read it here. Officially titled, What The Bellman Saw, its the same old Hook, just in a different package!
WHERE’S THE BOOK, HOOK?
Here’s where we stand with The Bellman Chronicles..
- The front and back covers are complete; only a minor polishing remains to be done.
- I have signed off on the first 14 pages of douchebag-filled goodness!
- A few administrative/technical details remain, but the finished product can be released while those issues are ironed out – thankfully!
- I have begun to formulate a plan of attack to ensure my first foray into the print world is a prosperous one; I simply have to remember this is a marathon, not a sprint!
AT LAST – AN ACTUAL STORY!
Never trust a man who sends his son to do his dirty work.
Those are words to live by, kids. Especially if you happen to be a bellman. We’ve seen a lot of this lately; guests who think their children were released from the womb wearing servant’s uniforms invisible to the naked eye. There are several reasons why a child simply isn’t a suitable choice to interact with service workers.
Here are but a few…
- They tend to slip into “gibberish mode” at the worst time. “Bell Desk. How may I help you?” The following response, “Agghh! Pbbbt!” is not conducive to a quick and efficient transaction.
- You can never be certain a child is a fully-recognized agent of the “parent company”. Do you know how many times I’ve heard, “I didn’t ask little Timmy to get a bellman! We just wanted a rolly thing! Yeah, I actually used “little Timmy! Deal with it!
- Children that are sent down to the lobby tend to forget their room number by the time they arrive at my desk! It’s as simple as that. Between the continuous loop of Nickelodeon shows and the ongoing formulation of the best way to sneak downstairs on Christmas Eve, the little booger eaters just don’t have any spare room in their noggins! Queries like “We’ll send a bellman right up; which room are you in?” tend to illicit a blank stare – that just goes on and on….
As you have no doubt surmised, I recently had the pleasure of serving a father who felt nine-year-old his son was capable of journeying to the lobby on his own at the height of check-out time.
Yes… and no.
The rugrat in question did indeed arrive at the Bell Desk safely, but he forgot the room number and he had a difficult time convincing the Valet Desk attendant that he was the owner of a 2011 Honda Odyssey! Needless to say the parents of said rugrat were a delight to serve. …
BEFORE WE PART WAYS YET AGAIN…
June 9. 2012 10 A.M – 7 P.M.
Scotiabank Convention Centre
Niagara Falls. Ontario. Canada
For full details, click here, fan boys and girls!