The average North American male has been the recipient of a dwindling life expectancy forecast for years. And it doesn’t appear to be improving any time soon.
Still, at 41, it’s safe to say The Hook still has a few decades left in him.
So why am I so envious of the young?
Take my daughter for example. She has so many mountains to climb, so much to look forward to.
- She has yet to discover the musical stylings of The Monkees (she’s convinced they ripped off Big Time Rush!) or The Ramones.
- The cinematic greatness of The Stooges or The Blues Brothers has yet to penetrate her young mind.
- The magic of a first kiss and then that first love, forever burned into memory.
- Volumes of great literature and entire museums worth of art and culture waiting to be absorbed.
Then of course, I remember that life is a double-edged sword and the laws of the universe dictate that we must experience pain in order to recognize joy.
- A first crush often morphs into that first heartbreak.
- We discover our heroes sometimes have feet of clay.
- The monster under the bed vanishes and is replaced by the acceptance of the monsters all around us.
- We experience that moment when we first realize our parents don’t have all the answers.
And that’s the moment that’s going to break my heart.